Whats on TV?
What’s on TV?
If you haven’t guessed by complete lack of posts, I haven’t been playing a lot of poker lately. So what has been occupying my time? I’m glad you asked. That will give me something to blog about without actually having anything to blog about.
First off, most of the time I would normally dedicate to poker is being filled with Battlefield 2142. I refused to play games like World of Warcraft because I know how addicting they can be, especially for someone like me, and I wanted to have some sort of a life that didn’t involve sitting in front of my computer. So I got Battlefield instead and can’t seem to stop playing. Sometimes it’s just more fun to stab an unsuspecting sniper in the back than it is to slowplay that full house you picked up on the turn. I think I have problems.
Also, with the end of summer there’s new TV shows to watch and it’s so much easier to turn on a TV than to play poker. The following shows are all TIVOed or at the very least watch with some regularity. All times are central.
- Football.(FOX/CBS 12:00) Specifically the Bear’s games, but I’ll watch just about any game that’s remotely interesting or involves some player on my fantasy team.
- Football. (FOX/CBS 3:00)
- Ummm. Football? (NBC 7:30 I don’t usually watch the whole third game, but I’ll check in now and then to see if anything exciting is happening.
- Simpsons/American Dad/Family Guy (FOX-7:00-8:30) Usually by the time prime time rolls around I’m sick of watching TV, but I’ll flip through these while making/eating dinner.
- Heros. (NBC 8:00) Heros is this year’s Lost. Hopefully they can keep people interested longer than three seasons. They’re still in the character introduction phase so there are plenty of new things to explore. Everything is leading up to some momentous event and where they go after that will determine how long the show lasts. And does anyone else hate when the preview next week’s episode saying that someone will die, and be ready for the surprise ending? You ruin the surprise when promote it before hand. Killing off one of your key characters isn’t a shock when you already told me it’s going to happen. It’s a crappy stunt that should be reserved for shows on that are about to go off the air if they don’t get their viewer ship up. I don’t think Heros is suffering from that problem. Nor was Lost when they did the same thing this time last year.
- Studio 60 (NBC 9:00) I guess I’m a huge Aaron Sorkin fan. This show’s great, I loved West Wing, and apparently he also did Sports Night which was by far my favorite show when it was on. I think Sport Night’s downfall was the name which probably eliminated half the audience. I think you can still pick up the DVD’s and I’d recommend it, especially if you enjoy Studio 60 and West Wing.
- High Stakes Poker. (GSN 8:00,9:00) Well what do you know? I am going to mention poker in this post. Was it me or did season two end rather abruptly? Unless I missed the last episode, I could have sworn they had another day of play to broadcast. I was also starting to get sick of Gabe Kaplan and what’s his face’s announcing. I’ll start watching again when season three kicks off. This is the only poker show I still watch.
- I don’t think I watch anything on Tuesday. I have the WSOP Tivoed, but I usually just delete them.
- Lost (ABC 8:00) I looks like I’m one of the few people who still watches this show. It’s no where near as good as the first season, but I still enjoy it.
- My Name is Earl (NBC 7:00) I probably wouldn’t watch this if it wasn’t on just before The Office, but it is pretty funny and if you haven’t already, you might want to check it out.
- The Office (NBC 7:30) If it wasn’t for my wife, I would have given up on this show after the first few episodes. Now it’s second only to Scrubs as my favorite comedy.
- Scrubs (NBC 8:00) Best. Comedy. Ever. (post Seinfeld that is)
- CSI (CBC 8:00) The original is still the best.
- Battlestar Gallactica (Sci-Fi 8:00) It costs me $10-$15 a month extra to get the group of channels that includes the Sci fi channel and this show is why. If you don’t watch it then drop everything, go to Blockbuster, rent the miniseries from a few years back and watch it. If you aren’t hooked after that there is something wrong with you. The reason my wife and I don’t go out on Fridays is because if we did we might miss Battlestar.
- Nothing I’ll watch college football if I’m bored, but it better be really good game or Notre Dame getting upset/blown out. I might start watching college basketball with some regularity, but probably not.
- Daily Show (Comedy Central 10:00). I’ve been watching the Daily Show since it’s inception with Craig Kilborne. I stopped for a while when John Stewart took over, but now I can’t imagine any one else hosting it. Is it bad if the only television news I watch is the Daily Show and the Colbert Report?
- Colbert Report (Comedy Central 10:30) This one had to grow on me, and his interviews are still often painful to watch, but the first half of the show is brilliant.
So that’s how I spend a good portion of my time that I could otherwise spend playing poker and coming up with exciting poker related stories with which to entertain you.